I had a huge batch of roasted chicken breast that I prepped last night. We decided to make a nice casserole for supper tonight and it turned out really well. Now I have come to the conclusion that I need to write things down so that I don’t forget it.
The Casserole Ingredients
- 15 oz roasted chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 50 g bacon
- 15.3 oz cauliflower
- Steamed and crumbled into rice-like pieces
- 9.5 oz broccoli
- Steamed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 75 g brown mushrooms
- Diced into equally sized cubes
- 62 g red onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp chicken boullion granules
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- Xantham gum is a very efficient thickener. A bag of it will last a long time, since you really only need a little bit at a time. If you make the recipe without it make sure that you let the sauce reduce for a little longer, cut the broth back. Honestly it will be runnier without it but will taste the same.
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese
- 5 oz grated extra sharp cheddar
- 35 g butter
- A pintch of salt and pepper
The Topping Ingredients
- 30 g butter, melted on the stove top
- 85 g almond flour
- 30 g grated parmesan cheese
- Minced parsley
Oh So Delicious Directions
- Steam the cauliflower.
- Dice it in the food processor or chop finely until it resembles rice.
- Set it aside in a big mixing bowl that you’ll assemble all the ingredients in.
- Steam the broccoli and chop into bite size pieces, throw in with cauliflower.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 35 grams of butter over medium heat.
- Throw in the mushrooms and onions until translucent, then add in the garlic for ~30 sec.
- Add the chicken stock, 1 tsp bouillon and sprinkle the xanthum gum in.
- Bring to a quick boil, stirring constantly, then reduce heat.
- Add heavy whipping cream, parmesan, bacon, and black pepper.
- This is essentially your “cream of mushroom soup” replacement, so do the majority of your seasoning/time spent on this step.
- Once the sauce is to your liking, dump the chicken, cheese and sauce in with the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Mix everything together and then finish seasoning to taste.
- Place mixture into greased 3 qt casserole dish.
Mix the Topping
- Melt remaining butter in a small bowl.
- Let cool slightly, then mix in almond flour, parmesan and parsley until you have a fine crumb mixture. Sprinkle evenly over casserole.
- Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Check at 30, then every 5 minutes until top is golden brown and sides are bubbly.
- Hit it with the broiler at the end to crisp up the topping for a minute or two.
The whole thing will come out oh so tasty, just make sure that you a quarter of an hour before serving so that everything has a chance to settle together.
If you make any improvements I’d love to hear them.